Sunday, March 13, 2022

PresBUMtion

I realized today that the Brendan's Urban Mendicant (BUM) Index relies on the presumption that I can correctly identify beggars across language barriers. Several people have hit me up for money here in Romania, all of them in Romanian, which I don't speak. All such requests have been in the "passive" category (which I defined in the Tan Jeer blog post), and the BUMI is fairly high here overall. (High = bad.) But how do I know they are actually begging? That would be a serious flaw in my methods section.


What if it's the opposite of begging? Why should I presume begging just because a bedraggled stranger approached me out of nowhere, looked pathetic, maybe held out a hand, and started speaking? Haven't we all heard these phrases from such people before?


Hey buddy, can I spare a dollar?

You need a few bucks for bus fare?

Can I help a guy down on his luck?

Help from a guy up on his luck?


Since my dorm room (yes, I am in a student dorm) is cruelly close to a gym, I had another opportunity to presume what people say in Romanian. When they're spotting each other, I think they're saying more or less the same thing that English-speakers do while coaching someone lifting weights or giving birth.


Come on!

Push!

Push!

Harder!

You can do it!

Almost there!

Just a little more!

PUSH!

 

Yeah!

You did it!

OK, now just one more….




No comments: