Sunday, October 13, 2024

Slidewalks

The locals here in Argentina, like in Bremen, are as warm as their Januaries. Here's only one example. They invited me to a going away party for one of their labmates. This is not standard practice. I'm not in their lab. I'm just a visitor. But I was invited and they made me feel welcome. 


The local infrastructure gets bonus points for having countdown timers on all traffic lights, like some other countries. Not the USA, since it would somehow lead to more road rage shootings. Not sure how. 



Trash cans are elevated and are walled with grids instead of solid metal or plastic. This isn't a complaint. The function of a trash can is to enable you to put trash in it and forget about it. They do that just fine. I just don't see why. Gerv speculated they were elevated to deter animals. He is a brilliant engineer. But I live in bear country with public trash cans that (like most of them) have solid walls and extend all the way to the bottom to provide much greater capacity.

Putting holes in the sides of those trash cans would only help spread the smell, which would attract more bears and get tourists killed. Oooh. I like it! So I now appreciate why local trash cans are as they are (never mind the absence of local bears). I hereby remind these nonexistent Argentine streetroaming bears that I am not a tourist; I'm here for work. Go eat an Englishman. Viva Las Malvinas. 



The sign below prohibits putting anything there without a bag. Obviously ineffective. 



I'm less keen on other infrastructure. 

I'm afraid to walk the streets at night. 

I wasn't walking through Las Ramblas in Barcelona, where I was pickpocketed several times. The most they ever got was a plastic hotel key while I said to the thief in Spanish: "Mi carretera es en mi hotel."

I wasn't afraid walking around Mazatlan, capital of the Sinaloa Cartel, even after there was a drugwar murder right across the street from me.



I fear the sidewalks. 

Sidewalks launch out pseudorandomly like a Picasso painting of and after a sustained artillery strike. They somehow manage every angle except flat. 

The elevator in my assigned housing requires riders to close two doors to use it, rather than closing doors themselves.

Assigned housing is iffy. The bed frame is broken. The mattress and pillow are soft, lumpy, and stained. The shower is tiny. The bathroom does include a bidet, which would be nice but I never use them. The towels and blankets could be combined into one airline blanket. They would then be thicker than the walls, which transmit sound like air. Internet is intermittent. My room has a clock, which was broken. I added a battery and it's still broken. The microwave door is broken. The A/C works wonderfully, which is worth quite a lot. The nearby gym has no A/C and limited hours. Keys and locks are silly. I'm tired and overworked and should cease blogging and relax, but will instead work on my next lecture. So there. 


No comments: