Monday, May 28, 2007

vacation before Bremen

The next morning I flew to Colorado. Visits there are always too brief. I always end up having 7 to 10 days. I got to see most of my family and do most of the things I enjoy so I shouldn't complain too much. I went hiking most days and got dinner with Dad most evenings. Mom was in San Diego, though she is in CO now. I got to spend a few afternoons hanging out with my cousin Kenny and dog Buster, a two year old slobber machine. Combine this with his enthusiastic head wagging and total inattention to criticism of his drool spritzers, and he could water lawns. I had to cover myself with a tent cover while he was in the car, until Kenny also started complaining about his Lucullan emissions and I threw him in the back. That made the point. The hot springs, where I usually go in the evenings, was closed for cleaning. I spent some time at a local pub called the Doghouse, where I won beer playing Galaga and shattered all the locals' records at Big Buck Hunter Pro.

After that I flew to Boston for a few days, where I stayed with Andy Weir. I got to see my old friends and Cog Sci alum Anna Cervantes and Dave and Julia Simard. Dave thrashed us at Settlers of Catan and Monopoly. The weather was quite nice one day and we played tourist and hung out at several parks. I must object to the unnecessary detail in the big statue of George Washington on a horse in Boston Commons. His horse is very clearly just puckering up for a crap. No, I wasn't actively seeking such detail. It's hard to miss. The tail travels up from the torso, which is not normal for a horse at rest. Further details would only exacerbate the unwanted imagery; you would have to see it. Now come on. He was our first president. Either wait for the horse to finish, or consider a little poetic license. Other days were more typical Boston weather. We spent one evening hanging out with some of Andy's friends from work and another two watching the Red Sox beat the Yankees. We saw several episodes of House and a bunch of other stuff. I had a surprisingly pleasant flight to Bremen, and here I am.

No comments: